Sunday, February 2, 2014

Meet Team Member Mary Jane Chapman

 
 
 

I am Mary Jane Chapman from Glen Ellyn, IL, and I am eager to make this journey.
I was raised in a small rural community in northern Indiana. I grew up on a farm.  From the time I was a very small child I attended the Methodist Church in that community.
I attended college at Indiana University and there met my husband. After we finished college my husband served in the military and during that time our two children were born. Both of these children now live nearby in the Chicago area, and I get to see them and my six grandchildren often.
For a time, I taught English at the local junior college and did some substitute teaching in the area high schools.  But I decided to change careers and went off to law school.  Since graduating from DePaul University College of Law, now 30 years ago, I have been a practicing attorney.  Currently I am in-counsel counsel for a real estate company.
I have served on a number of civic boards and commissions in my community. I was a board member for the non-profit organization that operates the battered women’s shelters in my county.  I was also a member of the Board of Trustees for the village in which I live. Currently, I serve on the Board of Trustees of my Methodist church here in Glen Ellyn and have been on this board for about 6 years.  Many of you may know that it is the trustees of the church who maintain and repair the church’s facilities.  My church has two parsonages and the church building. So there is plenty to fix, repair and maintain.
I have known our leader, Jane Dunn, for many years and know that we are all in very capable hands for this trip.  I will truly enjoy this Ubuntu journey and hope I can add to its success.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment